April 27, 2006

Well, my cherished pumpkins, gather round and I shall tell you a colourful tale of many wondrous things.

First, I shall make an index of the colourful tale so you can hopscotch over the greyish parts
*eye-rolling* *yes this is my last post basically intact*

1) gloaming. A digression

2) a historical debate. Grab your popcorn and an umbrella, because it's going to get bloody in here [infinite bonus points to he/she who can finish this sentence without google aid: "Academic disputes are so bitter..."] -- continental gets them, of course (he can exchange them for stale chewing gum and a dirty teddy bear any time he wants :P ) "... because there is so little at stake"

3) Time Must Have a Stop. Or not. A contemplation of shyness, embarrasment and beyond

4) When I grow up I'll be a singer. Wearing rings on every finger. [You had better be singing. As in, right now. Otherwise, I have much to teach you, my little grasshoppers] -- ... and?? are you?? singing??

5) Modesty and medium-headedness. Lack of in blogosphere. An apology

6) and the obvious, apostolic succession in Albania. Saving the best for last :D


Hope you enjoy!


1) I love how this word sounds. And I love what it means. Twilight is depressing. Gloaming is simply marvellous.
The gloaming in the city, when it's autumn and the air is cold and I'm looking at the water and it's almost black. Almost, but at the same time it shines with the residue of the sunset's light, and the gloom is settling in, but it's still not night and not quite day, and I wish I had a sweater, and the sea which is not really sea, but river, looks more like the rippling surface of a lake, and I sit and think about inconsequential things, and the goosebumps prevail and I start walking ever so slowly, and the ripples ripple, and the water grows blacker, and the lights begin to wake up, and the clouds drift, and the gloaming gloams, and sentences have no real end, only a drifting hush


2) What do you think? Did feudalism collapse as a result of its own internal crisis as a socio-economic structure, or did external forces and influences -- namely the changes brought on by the revolution in international commerce – provoke the collapse since feudalism itself was too static and rigid to evolve endogenously? Is the research made by non-Marxist historians to be relied on or should it be dismissed due to its lack of an underlying ideology that recognizes modes of production and economic relations thereof?
Did you stop reading after feudalism?

This is what I have been struggling painstakingly with these days: the debate to end all debates, the one that marked an era, that made you laugh, that made you cry, the ultimate coming-of-age debate, the one that you will remember always…

Do I even need to say it?

Come on, folks, let’s shout it out all together now!

IIIIIIIT’SSSS…

THE DOBB-SWEEZY DEBATE!!!!!!!

*the crowd goes wild* *mass hysteria* *men and children cry* *women simultaneously smile indulgently and gaze bravely into the distance* *an unidentifiable but pretty flag flutters in the distance* *uplifting music swells in the background*

I understand the fact that people may enjoy writing these things. I accept it. I don’t embrace it, because it’s a fact and they are not really open to embrace. I respect it, and I also understand, accept and respect the fact that other people might like to read about these things (yes, even those who did not write it or are closely related to those who did or were paid to edit it. We humans are funny that way. We like the oddest things).

But I don’t think it’s fair that I have to read it. I acknowledge that reading this teaches me a lot about human nature, and broadens my horizon regarding the objectives, methods and opinions of some fractions of academia. But, as for my learning anything worthwhile about feudalism itself and how it collapsed, try again.
Plus, at this rate, I’ll go completely blind by the age of forty (think badly-printed book with REALLY, HUMONGOUSLY small font. And then photocopy it with a bad-quality Xerox machine. And then photocopy the photocopy. And then read it).

On a serious note, I really wish that, whatever I end up doing in my life, I’ll never wake up one day and feel about what I’m doing the way I feel now about the Dobb-Sweezy debate.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, angels, it is time for all of us to go to bed. Don’t worry, we’ll continue tomorrow with the colourful tale of wondrous things, but jude is tired and long past her bedtime (not to mention her eyes are falling out… oh don’t worry, my darlings, she’s talking in the third person, so the goriness doesn’t count).


Good night, my loves!



*sings in a surreally sweet, low, and non-true-to-life voice “Swing low, sweet chariot // Coming for to carry me home…”*

3 Comments:

Blogger SRH said...

I do recommend sleep. Sleep is good. You seem a bit loopier than usual.

05:46  
Blogger jude said...

you think?

20:47  
Blogger Continental Drift said...

Stale chewing gum? I guess that’s better than used chewing gum. Though I’d much prefer the teddy bear, thank you very much!

1) That’s a very good description of a gloaming evening!

2)I take it that the expression “her eyes are falling out” is a figurative expression and not a literal expression?

07:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home