March 13, 2006

This is just to say

(spot the high-falutin' literary reference -- well never mind, probably even google doesn't know)

Spirits are back to normal and accounted for, promise not to lapse into self-absorbed blubber with any regularity.

Today's topic: lack of hot water.

How do people survive without a hot shower? That is, with cold showers (not with no showers at all, which staggers the imagination smell-wise unless you have access to the sort of lovely clear stream that only Hollywood and daydreams provide).

Unless it is absolutely stinking hot, I find jumping into a cold shower a test to my strengths quite unlike any other. It requires mettle, determination, willpower, and a very (very) strong sense of duty to overcome that icy shock that spreads like wildfire, numbing the senses and at the same time sharpening the awareness of the fact that nothing, NOTHING, would be more desirable at that moment than a warm towel and an umbrella.

Anyway, there is obviously a good reason to force troops to shower in cold water. I assume nothing makes or breaks a man/woman quite like getting up before the rooster croweth, when the sun don't shine, to jump into that Hitchcock-worthy nightmare EVERY SINGLE DAY, without so much as a whispered whimper through the teeth.

That, and my love for beds with bedding and nice clean sheets in a room of my own, are possibly the main reasons why I don't join the army (of course, you should add that I couldn't hurt someone with my fists or run two blocks if my life depended upon it -- though I do hurt flies and therefore can't use that particular clichè).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home