March 15, 2006

Full moon!!!

A few months ago, I was on msn chatting with a friend in Spain and he said "look! full moon!", and I looked, sitting here thousands of miles away, and I saw it. And I realized that I had never actually registered that when you watch a full moon (or any moon for that matter), there are millions of people around the world watching the exact same thing that you are watching. I know it sounds a bit stupid, but it was a bit of a reckoning for me, to think that others were just as goofily craning their necks up and thinking of shiny pennies and rabbits and werewolves and love and eerie shadows and howling dogs and craters and seas of tranquillity and tides and "I miss you so much" and "remember that time..." and life in outer space.

I got a bit carried away, didn't I?

But it is sort of special in a corny kind of way, if you think about it. It's just the sort of thing that makes me smile stupidly when I'm alone and there's really no one to smile at. Well there you go. All the little embarrassing details have a way of coming out sooner or later.

Look at the moon!!!
That's all I got, anyway.

Although now that I come to think about it, if you're just in that right sort of sugary teen angst and only need a catalyzer to start the chain reaction that will propel you into muddled philosophical quandaries and plain ole heartburn, you might want to give "Brighter than sunlight" by Aqualung a shot (it's a song, just in case you were wondering). It's NOT a work of art, but it does fit into the mellow yellow musing phase that you might be in if you're staring at the moon.
And, if that's not your cup of tea, then maybe you would be better with Billie Holiday in "I cover the waterfront". Very groovy (if that's the word I'm looking for, though I'm not sure that it is).

"With the dawn coming on, make it last..."

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/billie-holiday/17853.html

2 Comments:

Blogger SRH said...

Every once and a while something will happen that we remind you that you are truly part of a global community. Looking at the moon while someone else thousands of miles away is doing the same will remind you of the global nature of humanity. Now if we could just get more people to realize that.

09:30  
Blogger Maya said...

That is a good post. I love that kind of epiphany.

20:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home