March 20, 2006

You may have missed me. You may have not noticed I was gone. Either way, I'm back, with a good excuse to boot.
School started. No, I am not a freak. No, I am not suffering from amnesia and believe it's September. Yes, I live in the Southern Hemisphere!
So, 20th March, and it is back to routine.
No matter how boring this may sound to you, believe me that your tedium pales away into off-white wall paint when compared to how boring it sounds to me. On the other hand, it is my life anyway so I should stop blabbering nonsense and say something funny and interesting for a change.













Since that didn't seem to work out very well, instead I'll tell you a true and truly gruesome and depressing recent tale from my neck of the woods, which is all I can come up with right now.

There is a show on TV here that revolves around the weekly pursuit of challenging "tests" of a sort, where everyone is invited to participate, with the goal of raising money for some worthy cause. Last week, they came up with the idea of getting 40 people to pull a train (the locomotive and a couple of wagons, actually) for a short distance in a small town. But it was badly organized, and since there was a lot of fanfare surrounding the event (and as said before it's a small town with nothing much to do), a pretty big crowd gathered around the locomotive, and at one point, before the preset time, somebody yelled "Let's go!", and a lot of people started pulling. But not the 40 ones that had been selected to pull. Anyone really. There were children and old people and many others pulling, and the crowd hadn't been contained so that people were standing in the tracks and very close to the train. So many people were pulling that the train effectively started moving, but not only that, it started gathering speed. Eight people were crushed to death, not being able to get out of the way of the train they were pulling because of the tumult. A 70-year-old lady and an 8-year-old boy were among those killed. Many lost limbs.

Sorry. Not very cheerful. But it makes me mad that they weren't able to prevent it. Those deaths were truly pointless.

6 Comments:

Blogger SRH said...

In many ways it would have been better for the show's producers to just give money to the hospital. It is sad indeed.

06:30  
Blogger Fred said...

is this an allegory?

06:32  
Blogger jude said...

After the event, an anonymous donor gave the hospital the money they were hoping to raise. It may have been the show's producers, but that's just my speculation.

Fred: i'm not sure what you mean by allegory. This is a true story; it happened last week on Thursday, I think.

14:40  
Blogger Quirkie said...

How awful. I can't believe it hasn't been in the news... or has it?

19:33  
Blogger Unknown said...

shit... that is kinda scary, where is this? weird... not on the news, is it?

14:20  
Blogger jude said...

Well, I'm not sure, but I'm assuming you hail either from Australia or the US of A. In that case, the chances of this incident's reaching your TV screens are slim indeed, since it happened in South America, and less than 50 people were killed (just to be clear, I'm not blaming the media for not divulging this or anything, it would be rather ridiculous if they had).

18:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home