June 26, 2006

Today I received my very first chinese spam mail. A very exciting occasion. I don't really know what triggered it, since I don't recall ever visiting any site that might lead to such an outcome, and of course I can't very well read it (since my Mandarin skills have yet to magically develop after being bit by a chinese silk worm).
In fact, I can't even be sure that it's chinese. It mentions Craiglist.org, TableShox.com, 1993 and 1995, but that's all I can understand. It also provides a mysterious link to yahoo news which I haven't yet clicked on, though I suppose my curiosity will soon get the better of me.

In any case, I give you the link and the title in the off-chance that any of you spent your formative years eating rice, binding your feet to make them small and practising martial arts (I think I got the basic prejudices right, but if you can think of any other feel free to chip in!):


網路力量大! 
加國男子用一根迴紋針換一棟房子

http://tw.news.yahoo.com/060417/195/31k0m.html

5 Comments:

Blogger Continental Drift said...

I used Google translator http://www.google.com/language_tools and here's what it spat out:

Network power! Canadian men in a house for a Huixingzhen

If only I knew what a "Huixingzhen" was.

Perhaps I ought to order a chinese silk worm for myself?

15:16  
Blogger jude said...

chinese silk worms are what all the cool kids are wearing, so you should definitely get one

and your question is wrong from the outset, you should be asking "WHERE is Huixingzhen?". The answer, apparently, is somewhere around, in, near, or including "Dongyan, Pinglu Co., Shanxi Province".

Check this out if you doubt me (as you very well should, since my Chinese geography does not even qualify for 'basic' status):

http://www.nau.edu/~qsp/will_downs/012.pdf

18:41  
Blogger Continental Drift said...

Jude,

You're right! But, then, I'm not the brightest!

12:18  
Blogger Ianfluenza said...

Well folks,

迴紋針is actually read huiwenzhen. Yet, huixingzhen is also another way to say it. And guess what, they are paper clips...

Yes... Some Canadian man managed to exchange a paper clip for a house, emphasising the power of the Internet. I didn't know how he did it, but I'd wished to learn. *sniggers*

(And thx for visiting my blog, Jude)

19:10  
Blogger Continental Drift said...

Jude,

Why don't you post your elaborate word-games and witty writings on this blog? Then all the world can write you back!

I hate to admit it, but I tend to fall in one of the two categories that you mentioned.

Cheerio!

12:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home