June 23, 2006

Naps are good. I don't think anyone can argue with any degree of success against that axiom. They're even recommended at work now (supposedly), so there you go.

I'd ramble on as usual, but instead of doing that, I feel compelled to ramble on (we'll never really be able to escape that fundamental style, I'm afraid) but in a different manner.

Of late, I've been a bit depressed. Actually, the word that comes to mind is "desgano", which ultralingua roughly translates as 'the losing of one's appetite' or 'indifference'. If you break it down, the prefix "des-" implies lack of, or failure to, or opposite of. And "gano" comes from "ganas", which is "want of sthg", or "yen" (this last word is not a part of my vocabulary, but that's what ultralingua says). As it is used commonly, "ganas" is also "drive", "enthusiasm", "wanting it to happen", "wanting to make it happen", etc. The stuff of motivational-speak.

To sum up, then, I've been feeling down, unenthusiastic about life, reluctant to crawl out of bed for anything (with the exception, perhaps, of TV, which I have been consuming at the merry daily rate of approx. 4 hours).
But I cannot discern the cause for such a displeasure, other than the coming of winter; but these days have been inordinately sunny and altogether not-so-freaking cold (around the 15ÂșC) to allow for that explanation. Moreover, the day before last I talked to an old friend with whom I'd grown rather estranged due to a humongous lack of communication (the truth of which we only discovered wednesday, after 3 months of not talking to each other and waiting for the other to call, figuring the other didn't care). Our conversation put a whole lot of things into perspective, and enlightened me on many other aspects of our friendship (mainly, the fact that she gives a shit if I drop dead, to put it coarsely) which my blatant insecurity had always led me to disbelieve. And, even more, yesterday a friend (not very close friend) was having a bad time and asked for my help. Which doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is to me because being asked for help is something that makes me feel powerful in a twisted, pseudo-messianic, and not-a-little pathetic way.

So, cheap psychoanalysis aside, what's wrong? I don't want to study, that's for sure, but isn't that the college student's cross-to-bear/God-given right? To be forced to study and have unlimited complaining capacities?

I don't know.

But writing about it is liberating, I suppose. Now you have to read it, so I'm unloading part of my suffering (well, "suffering". I know I have nothing substantial to complain about. I have almost everything, and what I don't have I probably will in the near future; but where's the fun in ranting about that, right?) onto you (into? on? in? unto? to?). Besides, that's now an hour I've spent not-studying, so yay!
Guilt is added to the worry-bear's burden!

This is a poll. Please answer truthfully and in HB pencil:

1) Should I take another nap?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know... ppl underate the significance of naps. i, too, believe they make the world go 'round. ;)

22:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and yes... you should take another.

22:59  
Blogger SRH said...

nap, nap like you have never napped before!

08:46  
Blogger jude said...

darrelle: I shall obey

moncarpicus: same here!

srh: see darrelle ;)

15:47  
Blogger Ianfluenza said...

I'm another fan of naps...

23:26  
Blogger Continental Drift said...

Answer to quiz question: it depends.

Seriously, I'm of the views that naps are very beneficial. So go right ahead and take another one!

I'd say that writing one's woes/feelings etc is very cathartic.

I think everyone goes through times when he or she feels depressed, misunderstood, and at odds with the world. Perhaps you're going thru a similar brief spell and before we know it you'll snap-out-of-it and be writing about gloaming and addressing your dutiful readers as "cherished pumpkins!"

Perhaps the incident with your friend is troubling you? Or maybe you just need some alone time to yourself? Sorry to not be much help, but my magic crystal ball is at the shop getting fixed!

15:30  
Blogger jude said...

continental: you certainly made me smile, so thanks for that!
I think the big ol' creaky wheel of fortune is slowly spinning upwards for me, so I see good times ahead. And cherished pumpkins are sure to follow!

18:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home