August 07, 2006

As you may (or very well may not) have noticed, I am not a big fan of exercise. I have never practised it. It is not my "thing", never has been, and never will be.

However, given my status as normal human being who needs minimum movement of the molecules to keep the joints from creaking and the neurons from going to sleep, I have spent the last 4 years promising myself I'll do something about it. So far, my success at holding myself to my promise has been nil. Therefore, last week, while supposedly studying, I came up with my latest hare-brained scheme to start working it.

This time, it's martial arts (previous so-called grand ideas that ended up hitting the dust include jogging, going to a gym, doing aerobics with friends, and running 3 km a day).

The question here is: which martial art to choose?

Typing something akin to that in google led me to a quizz which started up with a question that went something like this: "Would you rather be choked or punched in the face?". To which I responded "No preference", meaning "No way to either of them", since that wasn't contemplated in the answer options.

After 20 or so more questions like that (including "Do you have better upper or lower body strength?", to which I again answered "No preference" since I haven't got either), I clicked to get an answer and was told that my martial art is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. My second choice was something invented by Bruce Lee (I can't recall the name), and my third was Tai Chi.

However, it turns out that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is all about fighting on the floor, and the winner is the one who makes the other submit to him/her, usually by cutting their blood flow to the brain and making them black out. Sounds pretty, huh?
Plus, the only place around here that teaches it hosts this webpage: http://www.solisfightclub.uy.nu/

Which doesn't look very enticing for a nerdy 19-year-old girl with a bit of an aversion to serious violence (and a VERY strong aversion to interrupting the blood flow to her brain).

So, basically my question here is: which martial art do you think I should choose?

Bear in mind that it should be fairly well known (otherwise I'll never find anybody to teach me around here), and that I am pretty frail and weigh 53 kg (which I think is something around 120 pounds, but I could be terribly wrong).

2 Comments:

Blogger SRH said...

I would suggest Akido or Capoeira. The Akido because it is entirely a defensive martial art. there are no strikes or chokes associated with it at all.

Capoeira because it is styled after dancing.

Good Luck

06:38  
Blogger Continental Drift said...

I practise Tae-kwon-do & Hap-ki-do and here are my thoughts.

I've never really seen the point of exercise, but I'm quite smitten by martial arts. It helps that I'm geeky, skinny, and opinionated and so need a way to take care of myself.

I'd strongly suggest an establised form like Karate, Aikido, Taekwondo, Hapkido, Judo, Kung-fu etc as opposed to the "flava of the day" like Ju-jitsu etc. Martial arts are wonderful to learn; you build self-confidence and get a work-out at the same time.

You also need to be aware of the different types of schools out there. Is the school run like a business and are the instructers more interested in making money or are they more interested in teaching you technique and form.

BTW, I weigh about 130lbs and I love practising martial arts.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

23:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home