July 24, 2006

I'm always ten light-year blocks away from what's new and hip, I know, so it is only today that I have discovered the delights of GoogleMaps. They rock. But I'm sure you didn't need me to tell you that. In lieu of studying, I just spent the last half hour fooling around, and provide you with my home address (of sorts) to show for it:

http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=&daddr=&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&ll=-34.904923,-56.164185&spn=0.002055,0.003616


Now, in connection to the comments on my last post, I should clarify, right from the start, that I am no cook, much as I would wish to be. I am simply a talented and dedicated eater. That said, I shall now proceed to regale you with the only recipe I know by heart, and that I can promise (cross my heart and hope to die :P) will turn out edible and sinful (if you fancy a flavourful, creamy lemon ice cream).

Well, I already gave it away, so there's no mystery in what I'm about to say:

Lemon ice cream

1/2 litre cream
[YES, this WILL use the metric system, any other way is crazy]
juice of 4 (?) lemons
1 can condensed milk
(370 grams)


Pour the cream into a bowl.

Whisk it good, until it has achieved a nice thickness (but try not to reach the point when the whisk leaves a groove on the surface of the cream) (but don't worry if it does, this is an easy-piecy recipe where you can do everything wrong and still get it to come out right).

Add the condensed milk (while googling around for translations and the like, I seemed to find that there's such a thing as "sweetened condensed milk", as opposed to "condensed milk". Just so we're clear, the one I'm talking about is super extra sweet, so it's probably the "sweetened" type you need) and stir a bit.

Squeeze the lemons and slowly pour into the mixture, stopping to stir and taste (don't be afraid to stick your finger in. Heaven, I'm telling you, heaven!). When it feels right, stop adding (and remember it tastes less lemony once frozen).

Pour into the recipient of your choice (personally, I have a beautiful set of large crystal stemware --I'm not sure if that's the correct way to define them, but you get the idea-- and I like to freeze the cream there, so it's super pretty to eat afterwards), cover in plastic film so it won't pick up a fishy smell from that weird container that's been sitting on your fridge for a month, and stick it in the freezer.

Check your clock. If more than 15, maybe 20 minutes passed since you started, you probably did something else in the middle, or were so enthusiastic in the tasting part that you won't have much left to put in the freezer.

Basically, you can take it out at any time. If it's sooner rather than later, it will be creamy and glorious. If it's later rather than sooner (say, 6 hours) it will have achieved a hard ice cream texture (creamy in your mouth once it's melted, but icy nevertheless). In any case, the fundamental taste is always the same.

If there's an occasion to celebrate, or you simply want it even classier, decorate adding a few mint leaves, small strawberries, almonds, small meringues or anything else lying around that suits your fancy.

It's a wonderful, win-win recipe. I wouldn't recommend doing it with your eyes closed, but then again I'd never recommend stepping into the kitchen with your eyes closed (too many cutting edges and hot stoves for my comfort).

If you wish the taste to be milder or more nuanced (sissy!) you can use lime juice instead of lemon juice. However, I can't vouch for the results in that case (it's all very well for you first-world-ers, but down here limes are hard-to-obtain delicacies, much like [sigh] fresh raspberries and blueberries and cherries and blackberries and good avocados year-round and papaya and holy moly I'm practically drooling! [sigh])

Enjoy!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Continental Drift said...

Jude,

Thanks for the recipe. The metric system is much better (after all multiplying and dividing by 10 is much easier than the alternative).

I shall try it out this weekend and get back to you with more germane remarks. I will also post one of my favorite recipes, but I eat better than I cook so…well you’ve been warned.

Condensed Milk! Yum! Yum!

BTW, there is no weird container in my fridge, thank you very much.

I also suspect that I’ll be making it a bit “nuanced” thus falling under the category of big “sissy.” Then again, my definition of “Macho” is someone who does his or her tax returns by him/herself on PAPER, with a PEN, and WITHOUT a calculator (and gets it correct the first time).

Your comment about raspberries on my blog is a lot clearer after I read the last para of this post. I'd offer to mail you some raspberries and blueberries but I suspect that they'd be a squishy mess by the time they arrived.

And BTW, produce in America (due to big agro-business) is awful (compared to the stuff you get in Europe or back in India). Oh, what I'd give for the big fresh juicy apricots of France.

13:37  
Blogger jude said...

I definitely agree on the metric system kicking pound/feet/inches ass. I hope the ice cream turns out right (though I'm sure it will; more to the point, I hope you like it).

I too eat better than I cook, so the warning goes right back at you.

I didn't quite get the "nuanced" part, though I suspect I'll understand when I read the recipe (which I promise to try unless you stick in exotic ingredients, for which I will hate you)(seriously).

And on that vindictive note (just kidding, though), you have NO RIGHT complaining about produce in the States. I'm sure there are plenty of plastic tomatoes and the like, but you can still find the yummy stuff anyway, even though it may mean extra driving and nastier prices. Here, that's not an option.

On the bright side, it's strawberry season!!! And I, my friend, just opened a carton of cream...

21:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home